Tis’ the season to ne
ed a laugh and here you go. This link will take you to stories of things that people have said in job interviews. They simply couldn’t have made them up. To tell a funny interview story on myself; I once called an executive by the wrong name (his name was Leo I was calling him Bill) during one part of a job interview. Why didn’t he say something? (I got the job anyway, phew.) Here are a couple of my favorites to get you started.
Hiring managers report:
- When I told a college student that the position would not work with his schedule, he asked, “Can I hire an assistant?” No. Goodbye.
- Candidates have asked me if they can work under the table. Huh?
- We had an applicant who put down as a qualification that he had his haircut by Charles Worthington and had done some hair modeling. He was applying for a financial analyst. That hair thing is so important in the numbers game.
- Q) A goal you worked very hard to achieve?
A) My Girlfriend! Umm.
Q) Your scores on the resume don’t match from what you just said?
A) Oh! I might have sent you the wrong resume. This resume was for XYZ company! Speechless.
- An applicant said she was a “people person” not a “numbers person” – in her interview for an accounting position. Perfect.
And my favorite…
I once had a friendly well-dressed guy fill out his application with sparkly purple ink. I asked him about it and he said that he felt the purple would help to make him more memorable. Memorable? Yes. Employed? No.
Please share your funny interview stories; I’ll post them after the first of the year.
Vlad StefanovicDecember 18, 2009
I like your blog Deborah. I wish I could remember some cool interviewing moments, but I tend to block out moments that are anything less than stellar. I remember when I was a kid straight out of college interviewing for a Public Relations position at Chuck E Cheese. The guy interviewing me chain smoked through the entire interview. I was pretty excited about the idea of getting my first job as a public relations professional until I found out that I would have to wear a mouse costume 8 hours a day. Couldn’t get out of there fast enough.
DeborahDecember 18, 2009
Vlad, thanks for the kind words and for that hysterical story. I think you would have looked great in that costume. talk about a life lesson. Happy holidays and wonderful new year. Deb