“Everyone is gifted, but some people never open their package...” Anonymous
Albert Einstein (the inventor of the bed head hairdo) is a recognized worldwide as a genius. Reading through his life story, you will see that he was pretty “flaky.” But in his field, there was no one more advanced. Did he know he was a genius? Did he fret about all the things he couldn’t do?
Each of us is a bit like him. It’s always easier to see the ‘spark of genius’ in others. He’s such a leader, she’s so athletic, he’s a great cook, etc.
In the Nine Different Types of Intelligence, I see myself in a couple of categories. I look forward to using this list to remind myself of ‘where I shine.’
Some are better known:
- Logical//Mathematical – Beep… I missed this train although I do pride myself on my common sense. Math.. not so much.
- Spatial – Yeah, you know, people who can see things in pictures when the rest of us are standing there going huh?
- Linguistic – Ok, now we’re talking… cross word puzzles, writing, reading… yeah, I finally get one!
- Bodily-Kinesthetic – Also known as athletic, you know that person… they are graceful on land, on sea, in the air. (Nope not me)
- Musical – I think this is the most interesting one because music is cultural. What sounds like music to Tibetan or Japanese might sound odd to Western ears. I think this one deserves wide application. (I know a lot of song lyrics… does that count?)
Here are a few less common ones that I like:
- Naturalistic – people who connect with animals… my daughter Jenna is one of those people. Animals, any animal, gravitate to her like she’s bacon.
- Interpersonal – people who ‘get’ other people… and can sense the mood and temperament of others and adjust.
Here are some I just made up (but are probably on other lists):
- Mechanical – yeah, I missed this train
- Geo-spatial – my gyroscope is and always has been broken
- Cooking/gardening- this might sound funny and maybe it’s baked into one of these others but don’t you know someone who just does these things naturally and always has? -This doesn’t mean gourmet or fancy. It’s just that they shine.
- Color – My brother is a color expert.
I’m sure the list could go on and on. My point is that’s not important which of these you have, only that you recognize which ones and celebrate them, Just for today, pick one, even if you’re not 100% sure you’re a genius in it, and praise yourself.
False modesty serves no one. Enjoy your gifts, whether society appreciates them or not. They are what make you, you. The world needs you just the way you are.
Photo credit: Albert Einstein
What do you think?